Monday, December 20, 2010

God's Comic...

There is a saying, if you want to make the Universe laugh make a plan. I am a planner, and I find the Universe gets loads of chuckles on my behalf. I have just learned the best plan is to not be too stuck on any one idea, or have a few back ups.
My kids turned three this year, and I thought it would be the best thing ever to have a carnival themed party. I love parties and carnivals, and above all, cake. Having kids is the best excuse to make all of these things happen, all of the time. Our house is coming along nicely and I also figured it would be a great excuse to have friends over to the new digs.  Much of the prep work was done in the week leading up to their special day, including a custom cake topper (me) and a custom red velvet carnival cake (Carla from Carla's Cakes). 

It was going to be awesome.


Of course having your birthday smack in the middle of flu season is always a gamble, so when Georgia woke up on her birthday horribly sick I wasn't really surprised, but did find myself looking to the sky and yelling "are you @*!!# kidding me"?! I knew it was just a matter of time before we were all plagued, so sadly we cancelled their party.
Not celebrating was not an option, and wasting a perfectly delicious cake is a crime round these here parts, so we just delayed everything.  
We spread out the festivities over the following week, depending on how we were feeling.  Presents were opened every few days. My sister (who is very pregnant with twins of her own) was kind enough to drive the cake in from the city once we gave the all clear. 
An impromptu gathering of friends and family and yes, a lovely sparkly cake ended the longest birthday party ever. It turned out awesome after all.


Carnival cake topper...
Hazelnut treats for goodie boxes...
Goodie boxes...
Refreshments...
The best little girl party hat ever, which sadly did not get used but will be repurposed for our attendance at the Christmas eve performance of the Nutcracker.

A crown for Shep, which will be repurposed in a homemade Christmas cracker for his Holiday feast.
Birthday banners made of handkerchiefs...
Birthday lanterns...
The lovely festive red velvet birthday cake - thanks Carla!
My beautiful birthday boy...
My beautiful birthday girl...
My kids loved it all, well except the throwing up part.  My only concern is from now on they will expect their birthday to last for weeks on end.  Perhaps we will move their day to a less dangerous time of year.  Thanks to all who helped and attended and made turning three a big deal.  xo

No comments:

Post a Comment